Welcome to the official website of New Zealand’s Hauraki Rail Trail
The Hauraki Rail Trail is one of the easiest trails in the country to cycle, with the 173km track made up of 5 sections. This allows for a range of scenic day rides to comfortable 3 to 4 day tour rides. As a Grade One cycle trail, the Hauraki Rail Trail is suitable for all fitness levels and cycling skills.
The Hauraki Rail Trail boasts some of the best scenery New Zealand has to offer. Highlights include
- the stunning Karangahake Gorge, one of the “14 wonders of New Zealand”,
- Waihi and Thames historic gold mining towns,
- the intriguing shorebirds,
- RAMSAR Wetlands of international significance, and
- Te Aroha luxurious mineral spas.
Kaiaua to Thames 55kms
From the Shorebird Coast, through lush green Waikato farm lands, to areas rich in pioneering history, the Hauraki Rail Trail has a ride for you!
- Enjoy a soak at the Miranda Hot Springs.
- The Shorebird Coast – including the Pūkorokoro/Miranda Shorebird Centre.
- Southern Firth of Thames (Tikapa Moana) which is listed as a wetland of international importance.
- The rural tranquillity and views.
- Kopu Bridge crossing of the Waihou River.
Kaiaua to Thames
Trail Status: Open
Fitness: All Levels
Skill: All Levels
Traffic: Light to Moderate